In Canada, drug offenceis a serious crime. Not only are the penalties for drug offenses too heavy, in certain situations, the person may be sentenced to mandatory minimum jail. Drug offence is committed in three ways.
- Possessing a drug
- Trafficking a drug, or
- Producing a drug
Each of these situations have different consequences, but make no mistake. Law can be brutal for some people, unless he hired someone who understands the offence. If you have been charged with a drug offense, you will be in need to hire one of the best Ottawa criminal lawyers.
Among many in Ottawa, Celine Dostaler Criminal Defence Lawyerhas been defending clients charged with drug offenses since she began her career. She has been focused on representing clients in all sorts of criminal law cases and has been very successful at it. Her experience in criminal law will ensure that your freedoms and rights are protected.
This charge can be brought against you if you are found in possession of any substance that is listed in Schedule I, II or III of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, which include cannabis and prescribed meds not in your name or illegal drugs.
This involves the delivery of substances listed in Schedule I, II and III of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act to another person. The exchange of money is of no consequence. Rather, the only evidence required is that the offender delivered the drugs to the recipient with the intent of promoting the drugs.
Accused persons may have:
- Given drugs to another person for safe keeping
- Introduced another person to a seller and assisted in negotiations for a better price or in giving of payments for the drugs
- Offered to sell drugs
- Offered to deliver drugs even if they did not intend to go through with the offer
- Agreeing to purchase drugs from one person with the intention of resale
- Offered to sell drugs which he or she knows were not real drugs.
This includes the manufacture or the cultivation of drugs. This includes any substance listed in Schedule I to IV of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.
Cultivation includes the ongoing practice of assisting prohibited plants to grow. It also covers plants that are left to grow in an environment created by a person. Cultivation covers the whole life span of the plant from the planting of seeds to the maturity of the plant.
Those found guilty are likely to face heavy fines or extended jail times. Although those charged with minor drug offenses may not face any jail time, they will have a criminal record that will adversely affect their opportunities for employment.
Who is the Best Defense for Drug Offences?
If you’ve been charged with a drug offense, contact Ottawa criminal defense lawyer now. But make sure:
- The lawyer has several years of experience defending clients who have been accused of a wide variety of drug crimes.
- The criminal defence lawyer should understand the consequences, and should explain them in detail, in order to prepare you in the best possible manner.
- Lawyer’s track record speaks for itself as his/her success rate with criminal cases proves that he/she will give you the best defense possible.