Even though acne is a common problem with young kids as well as teenagers, it may strike an adult as well. If washing your face using over-the-counter products and using home remedies to treat acne don’t seem to produce satisfactory results, it may be time to consult a professional.
DermASAP is a Massachusetts based clinic which has been founded by top dermatologist Dr. Kenneth M Reed and caters to several skin, hair, and nails related treatments such as laser hair removal, skin resurfacing, tattoo removal, fat removal via RF energy, Psoriasis, eczema, liposuction, facelift, scar revision, as well as acne removal.
Signs and symptoms of acne differ conditional to the rigorousness of the situation. There can be various kinds of acnes that one may suffer from.
- Whiteheads are sealed plugged openings
- When the oil in the whiteheads are exposed to air and become brown, those open plugged openings are called blackheads.
- Papules are tiny, red, soft bumps.
- Pustules, also known as pimples, are papules with fluid at their tips.
- Severe acne comprises red bumps underneath the exterior of the bumps and pus-filled knobs which are known as cystic lesions.
What are the various types of treatment available for Acne?
DermASAP suggests more than one way of treating acne. Of course, the course of treatment depends upon the nature of the infection and its seriousness. Here is a list of various options available for acne treatment:
- Topical Medication: This kind of treatment involves application of retinoid cream or gel on clean and dry skin. Doctors recommend that the ointment be used around 20 to 30 minutes after washing your face. The most effective way to use these ointments is to applying a pea-sized quantity of the retinoid cream or gel on the tip of your index finger and rubbing it consistently around the face including areas with no acne. Topical medication works by stopping plugging of the hair cavities.
- Oral Medications: Oral medications may be suggested for reasonable to acute acne problems to lessen bacteria and fight swelling. As symptoms progress, dermatologists are highly likely to suggest reducing the usage of these medications, which helps avoid antibiotic resistance.
- Light Therapy: Several well-established medical practices such as DermASAP offer many light-based treatments to diminish acne and mend its symptoms.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels include putting on a chemical solution to the affected skin area which results in the outer layer ultimately shedding off and disclosing new, invigorated skin. This kind of treatment can be perfect for curing acne blemishing.
Are there any restrictions with any specific type of acne-cure medication?
Medicines such as Tretinoin, Adalpaline, and Tazarotene have certain limitations that patients need to be aware of.
- Such medicines should be used at night since exposure to sunlight makes the effect of these medicines ineffective.
- Do NOT use these medicines during pregnancy.
- Skin irritation when you begin with the course is normal since your skin is not used to the medicine. You can use the medicine on alternative days in case such irritation occurs.